We are already quite aware of the magical benefits of CBD, or Cannabidiol. Now is the time to move over from humans and bring our attention to our furry friends. The question is, can CBD have the same effects on dogs and other animals as well?
There is a lot of words going around on the internet about CBD oil and its possible outcomes on dogs. There are many studies going on in this area. This means we’ll have to wait and see what the future results of the same exhibit.
For now, here are the possible effects, benefits, and risks related to CBD oil, if given to dogs.
What is CBD oil?
CBD oil is made from Cannabidiol, popularly known as CBD. It is a chemical compound formed in the cannabis plant. However, unlike other products of this planet, CBD doesn’t create any ‘high’ or will not get you stoned.
The reason behind this is that CBD contains less than 0.3% of THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, which is responsible for creating the ‘high’ or brain alterations in the brain. Thus, it is a non-psychoactive substance.
Is CBD legal?
AS per the 2018 Farm Bill, CBD is no more a part of ‘controlled substance,’ and thus, it has been legalized in all 50 states across America. Even so, it is recommended to learn about the laws of your state.
Nonetheless, many restaurants and cafes are now serving CBD-infused food and drinks. That’s not it. People from all over the US are buying CBD products, such as oils, tinctures, cream, gummies, and other topical.
The popularity of CBD is such that, even pet-special products are starting to make their mark in CBD and wellness industry. So, let’s dig out more information on CBD oil and how does it work on dogs.
How does CBD oil affect dogs?
For now, there has been no official research or study on the topic but there have been quite a lot of evidence where dog owners claimed that their furry babies exhibited positive effects in their behavior, such as, reduction in anxiety, depression, and inflammation.
We do understand the working of CBD in human body. To put it simply, the cannabinoids of CBD interact with the endocannabinoid system of the body, which exclusively regulates the central and peripheral nervous system. This also means that they also help in maintaining the serotonin levels, which automatically results in enhancement of happy mood.
The same shall work in the case of dogs. However, there might be some side effects of the same since dogs are more sensitive than humans. We’ll learn about it further in the article. For now, let’s focus on the benefits of CBD oil for dogs.
What are the possible benefits of CBD oil on dogs?
As discussed before, there has been no conclusive research done in the area. Even so, many dog owners continue to give their pet a limited dosage of CBD on a regular or intermittent basis. The results of the same has been quite positive.
According to these owners, these are the noted benefits of using CBD oil on dogs.
- Treatment of seizure, anxiety and depression: Just like humans, dogs also suffer with sadness, and in intense cases, depression. It has also become quite common for dogs to suffer with anxiety from time-to-time. CBD works the same magic on dogs as it does on humans and helps them get through anxiety and other mental illnesses.
- Reduction in cancer pain: Unfortunately, if your dog is suffering from cancer, then, there have been instances where they found relief from cancer pain. The harmful effects of chemotherapy can result in devastating pain. CBD helps in the reduction of the same. In fact, it may also help in slowing tumor growth.
- Display of anti-inflammatory properties: CBD has successfully proven to reduce inflammation in people. The same effect has been noticed in dogs as well. Inflammation is the reason for a lot of health problems. Thus, it works as a powerful pain reliever.
- Helps in arthritis: Due to its anti-inflammatory nature, CBD oil also helps in muscle and joint pains, arthritis being one of them. CBD is anyway known from relieving people from chronic pains, and the same is working on dogs as well.
- Controlled vomiting and nausea: CBD is antiemetic in nature. It works miraculously on dogs in a way that their appetite is stimulated, which clearly, gives a free pass to vomiting and nausea. This is perhaps the most positive benefit of giving CBD oil to dogs.
- Works as a great supplement: Like many people, owners give a daily dose of CBD to their pets, including dogs, as a supplement. As a regular supplement, it helps in the promotion of their overall health and wellness.
Are there any potential side effects of giving CBD oil to your dog?
There is no scientific data to prove that there are any side effects of CBD, on humans as well as animals. But, there can be circumstances under which your dog might suffer with certain side effects, like a higher dosage of CBD, may or may not cause trouble in his system.
Even so, it is highly unusual to have any side effects of CBD oil. It is non-intoxicating and has natural medicinal values. So, the probability of it affecting your friend is quite low.
Anyhow, here are a few potential side effects of CBD oil that your dog may exhibit-
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure
In any case, the effects go away with time. However, if they show up frequently, especially if your pet is on medication, then consult a vet for the same.
What to do when these side effects show up?
First of all, supervise and notice their behavior. If they look restless for a stretch of time, this might be a side effect. As mentioned above, the effects are mild and go away with time. This also means that you must decrease the CBD dosage of your dog. Chances are that the effects will go away, but if you get a feeling that something is definitely up with your dog, take him or her to a vet immediately.
What to look for in a CBD oil when purchasing for your dog?
Not all CBD oils are same. So, it is highly important to look for high-quality CBD oil. Do your research well and consult your vet to get your hands on the best CBD oil. Here are some pointers to keep in mind when buying CBD oil for your dog.
- Only buy organic CBD oil
- Do not settle for CBD-infused product because it’s price is low. DO NOT. These CBD products might be cheap but they are also adulterated with toxic substances, such as pesticides and heavy metals. You wouldn’t want that for your dogs
- Make sure that the company has the certificate of analysis
- Make sure that the product has no or below 0.3% of THC
As per many dog owners, the result of the CBD oil on dogs has been quite magical. They are more active, happy and less anxious and lazy. So, the best way to find about the benefits, effects and risks of using CBD oil on your dog is to purchase the best product in the market, set a limited dosage, and wait for the results. In most cases, the results are unbelievably good and in your case, it shall be the same.