Good behavior and obedience should start early. Your dog’s training program should begin as soon as possible, at an age when your puppy naturally has an excellent learning ability.
Good behavior and obedience should start early. A dog’s training program should start as soon as possible because when they are young they have an excellent learning ability. Your dog must understand the basic rules of life, even since he is a puppy. This will help you become a safe and gentle adult dog, and avoid any nervousness that could lead to destructive behavior.
Training your puppy at home
It is very likely that your puppy is not trained to live in a house when you take it. Therefore, accidents may occur in the first weeks. It is often the case that puppies have accidents at home because they are given too much freedom too soon, and they do not know the right place to urinate. It would be better to buy a dog kennel using Amazon coupon code so that you can save a big discount.
To avoid this, there are a number of steps you can follow:
- Make sure your puppy only has access to one or two rooms in the house, where the family spends more time.
- Lock the puppy in a cage when you can’t supervise him. Puppies are less likely to dirty the area where they
sleep,since they consider this to be their safe space and want to keep it clean.
- Schedule feeding schedules. This will allow you to monitor the puppy more
closely,since he is more likely to need to leave shortly after eating.
- It is important to reinforce the desired actions, so congratulate your puppy when he urinates outside.
- To make sure you can reward him immediately, it’s a good idea to go outside with your puppy.
- Never punish or reprimand a puppy for having an “accident.” Instead, look for ways to prevent your puppy from needing to urinate inside.
- Do not wait for your puppy to indicate that he wants to leave. Most puppies do not learn to point out their need until they first learn to “hold on” at home. Take it out at the same time.
- Take it out frequently, after each meal and nap, before bedtime and just wake up in the morning to get used to this routine. First, take it to the same place every time so you can recognize your own aroma.
If you notice that the puppy is going around and around, or if it smells the floor inside, it is a sign that it needs to urinate. In case an “accident” occurs, do not scold your puppy, but disinfect the place to eliminate its smell. Do not clean while in the room or use chlorine to avoid increasing your interest.
Training and obedience behavior for puppies
Dogs are pack animals and need authority. From the beginning, they will need only one person who can be their teacher. Do not shout when you call your puppy: they are sensitive to variations in your voice and they will understand the different tones, short and clear for the orders, happy to congratulate them and severe in case of a reprimand. Always use the same words to give the same orders.
How to teach your puppy to sit?
Using a food reward, hold the food over the puppy’s nose and slowly move it up and down again, over the puppy’s head. When the puppy changes direction to the food with his head, he will sit down. When your dog does the same, say the word “sit”.
As soon as your pet feels, say “good sitting” and give him the reward. Many repetitions will be needed for your puppy to learn to associate the reward with sitting. Start with 3 short training and behavior sessions that last only 5 minutes a day and expand the sessions little by little as the puppy grows.
How to teach your puppy to lie down?
Once you have taught your dog to sit down, you can start teaching him the “down” order. Make him feel first and then encourage him to lie down holding the reward, lowering it between his front legs and pulling it forward (pulling it away) at the same time, while saying “down.” When he lies down, give him a reward and fill him with praise.
How to choose a food reward to train your puppy?
Choose something small and low in calories that your puppy likes. A croquette taken from your daily ration can work or a specific nutritional supplement for training and behavior. Be sure to include this energy supply in the calculation of your daily ration.
If you have more training and behavior aspirations, dog training and behavior clubs are open to all puppies accompanied by their owners. Since obedience is the basis of everything you will do with your puppy, going to a club will confirm the education you are giving.