When a person experiences various mental health problems, it can often be tough to connect with other individuals. Medications may help, but they can only do so much as they provide temporary relief. It’s normal for such people to feel lonely as they go through the day. In these instances, what that person needs is an immense level of emotional support, but that kind of reassurance may not always be forthcoming from fellow human beings.
The good news is that certain animals can provide the emotional support that a human being needs when faced with emotional turmoil. Dogs, in particular, are well equipped for this specific purpose.
Several dog breeds can help provide relief and give support to patients suffering from mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, stress, post-traumatic stress disorder, and postpartum depression, among others. Some of the best breeds for this purpose are the following:
1. Labrador Retriever
First on the list is one of the friendliest and most energetic dogs that one can ever have – a Labrador Retriever. Whenever you’re not feeling too great, a Labrador retriever is excellent for giving you that much-needed picker-upper. Because they’re also gentle and smart, the Labrador Retriever is a favored choice in many emotional support centers.
That said, here are some of the other benefits that a person suffering from emotional and mental health problems can gain from owning a Labrador Retriever:
- Since this dog breed is extremely high in energy, they’re also a perfect companion for walking outdoors. You can expect them to last the entire walk without getting tired. This comes in handy, as walking outdoors and being surrounded by the glory of nature is highly recommended for people suffering from mental health issues. It’s known as one of the best modes of stress relief, as some quiet time can release whatever tension you might have been holding in.
- Labrador Retrievers are incredibly stable and friendly dogs. They are also happy and sweet most of the time. Because they’re so intelligent, they can even tell when you need those extra cuddles because you’re feeling a little bit down. With a Labrador Retriever, it’s as if you’ll never have to be alone ever again in your life. You’ll have a four-legged companion as your best friend.
2. German Shepherds
It may come as a surprise to you, but German Shepherds aren’t meant to function only as guard dogs. These canines are also excellent support animals, simply because they’re great family dogs. Especially when you have kids around, the social and friendly nature of this breed, plus their excellent temperament, can help guarantee that you’ll have a positive environment in your home. Anyone suffering from mental and emotional problems can receive so much love and joy from this dog.
The reasons below should help to convince you that a German Shepherd is indeed an excellent choice:
- They have a very kind and loving attitude.
- They are a very protective and respectful dog breed.
- They have high energy levels, so they’re ideal to bring along on long walks.
3. Golden Retriever
The Golden Retriever is one of the most compassionate dog breeds there is today. This very trait is what makes it an excellent dog breed for emotional support and companionship. Their good-natured character and boundless energy also make this dog remarkable to have, no matter the kind of activity that you’re going to be engaged in.
Without a doubt, a Golden Retriever is a good animal for stress-relief. They are also very even-tempered and patient. Here are some other excellent reasons for you to own a Golden Retriever:
- They are sweet and calm dogs.
- They are stunning to look at.
- They are easy to train and possess a high level of intelligence.
- They are known for demonstrating tremendous levels of love and support.
- They love children.
4. American Staffordshire Terrier
The American Staffordshire Terrier, casually known as the American Staffy, also makes the list. Don’t be fooled by its looks, as despite its robust facial features, this dog breed is warm, loving, and gentle. This particular dog breed is, in fact, also considered to be very devoted. Since a long time, they have been serving well as an emotional support animal in many centers for depression.
Take a look at some other good reasons to own an American Staffy:
- These dogs have a sheer love for family life, which is precisely why they don’t do great as kennel animals.
- They are gentle and compassionate dogs that really enjoy human interaction.
- They’re labeled as a “nanny dog” simply because they seem to have an innate love for children.
5. Great Danes
A Great Dane’s heart is as large as its actual size. They may look quite intimidating and stiff, but they’re fun and loving to have around a person who is suffering from depression. These dogs are also generally well-mannered and extremely friendly. As long as you treat them right, they will reciprocate by showering you with the warm and love that you need to improve your emotional health.
Some other heartwarming reasons why a Great Dane makes for an excellent emotional support dog are as follows:
- They help you feel more relaxed and calm at the end of a stressful and challenging day.
- They can keep you happy and healthy, especially when you have this breed as your family dog.
- Their heart is like that of an innocent child.
A Corgi making this list is, perhaps, a no-brainer for you. Queen Elizabeth II loves them and you should, too! Just take a good look at them, and it will seem as if they’re jumping up and down and smiling all the time. These dogs are a happy breed and good to have around those that need an added dose of love and light in their lives.
The Corgi is an exceptionally affectionate dog breed. This also makes them enjoyable to have around kids who need a playmate to help balance out their temperament.
If you’re looking to adopt a dog for a friend or family member who requires emotional support, you now have a list of the best options to choose from. The dogs mentioned above are excellent at providing human beings with all the therapeutic support they need to recover from their issues. These dogs are trainable, sociable, intelligent, high in energy levels, and most of all, extremely loyal. When you opt for any of these dog breeds, it will be as if you have chosen a friend for life.