Guest post: Whether you’ve been taking care of pets all your life and want to start monetizing that skill set or whether you simply have a love for animals and an interest in business, there are several great reasons to start your own pet care business. This booming industry could hold professional opportunities for skilled pet caregivers. These five tips could help get your business going.
If you’re dealing with a “no pet” housing policy, Emotional Pet Support can help qualify your emotional support animal. Learn more about how we can help.
1. Sharpen Your Business Skills
With more people than ever adopting pets and looking for ways to pamper their pets, now could be a prime moment to get into the pet care business. If you want your fledgling company to have a strong shot at success, you could go back to school to build your business skills.
For instance, starting an online MBA program could help you foster skills in strategic planning, accounting, marketing, and corporate finance, which could give your company a good foundation. Additionally, an online program could offer the flexibility you need when balancing school with your personal life.
2. Research the Basics of Starting a Company
According to one study, spending more time on preparation before officially opening your company can help give the business a better shot at longevity and success. That’s why it’s crucial to research business basics before jumping in. You’ll want to:
- Secure essential governmental licenses and ensure legal compliance
- Find a unique branding angle and come up with a comprehensive marketing and advertising strategy
- Decide whether you’ll need a brick-and-mortar store location
- Brush up on your accounting skills and start keeping thorough records of your business financials
3. Consider the Benefits of Opening an E-Commerce Store
If you’re interested in starting a business while still working from home, you could consider the upsides of starting an e-commerce store for pet products. This route can allow you to build a company remotely.
With the right range of products and some smart branding, you could see your business take off. Consider offering everyday essentials, such as pet food, toys, grooming supplies, and potty-training tools, as well as some fun extras, such as seasonally flavored pet treats and designer outfits.
4. Offer In-Person Pet Services
If you’re interested in a more hands-on business model where you can work directly with pets, there are several pet services you could offer, depending on your preferences and skill set, including:
- Babysitting pets while the owners are away
- Offering full grooming services
- Taking dogs for walks
5. Get In on the Top Pet Industry Trends
Lastly, make sure to research current pet trends to take advantage of profitable niches and help your company take off. For instance, your business could provide:
- Health supplements, such as vitamins and probiotics, designed specifically for pets
- Personalized outfits, leashes, and toys
- Freeze-dried pet foods for better portability
- Luxurious and nourishing grooming supplies, such as scented dog shampoos
- Extensive pet health insurance for medications, medical procedures, and regular vet check-ups
If you love animals and you’ve always wanted to own your own business, now could be the perfect time to get into the pet care industry. Whether you’d rather run an e-commerce store or get hands-on, these five tips can help you get your pet business off the ground.