Using Pet Resumes When Renting

In Emotional Support Animal by Emotional Pet Support TeamLeave a Comment

Renting can be a challenge for anyone with a pet, but there are some things that can be done to help secure a rental and be able to take your pet with you. Many landlords are now reviewing pert resumes to determine whether the pet will be suitable to reside in the rental and whether the pet is an emotional support animal. Based on current laws, no landlord can refuse a renter with a pet if that pet is an ESA. Here, we look at how to write the perfect pet resume to ensure you get a great rental with no issues regarding your fur-baby.

What To Include in a Pet Resume

“Landlords will be looking for key information regarding your pet in the resume, including whether they are an aggressive breed, the age of the pet, the size of the pet, training information, and any certifications such as an ESA letter.”, says Nick T., a medical resume writer at CraftResumes writing service. By including these points and even adding a picture of the pet, the major concerns of landlords will be eased in many ways. There are services that can offer assistance in creating the best pet resume to present to a landlord.

It is important to know that no landlord can refuse to rent to any individual with an emotional support animal. While rules will still have to be followed, your ESA cannot be refused, and a landlord cannot evict or not rent to anyone that owns an emotional support animal. Even if there is a no pets provision at a rental unit, this will not affect renting with an ESA. 

Importance of References

When creating a resume for any landlord, it is important to include references. These can be personal references that have had interactions with the pet as well as vet references. It will be beneficial to also include any references from past landlords that include the experience of renting to you with the ESA. In the reference, be sure to include how long the individual has known you and the pet, whether any damage was caused by the pet, and whether the pet is recommended for tenancy.

ESA Certificates and Renting

When renting, landlords do have the right to request a copy of a letter that certifies the animal as an ESA. When renting and including this information on a pet resume, be prepared to present valid documentation. In the US, emotional support animals are legally recognized, and you can get a certification that will allow you to reside anywhere with your ESA, regardless of any no-pet policy.

What Does an Airline Approved ESA Letter Look Like? - ESA Doctors

To get an ESA certification, you will need a letter from a mental health provider. The letter needs to state that the animal is needed to assist with mental or emotional health and that it has basic training. Be sure to include any documentation and additional information when creating the renter resume to ensure the landlord has all information needed.

What Landlords Need to Know

Any landlord that has a current no-pet policy will have to know that this will not apply to any service dog or emotional support animal. An ESA is not a pet, and like a service animal, it is used to help owners with a disability. Under current laws and the Fair Housing Act, landlords are not allowed to charge any pet fees or deposits when the renter presents with an emotional support animal. It should also be known that ESA’s are not required to meet any rules regarding weight limits and restricted breeds.

Landlords do have the right to verify the letter of certification and to verify the credentials of the mental health professional that issued the certification. The professional cannot be contacted directly, and there are limits as to what questions can be asked to the tenant, including questioning the disability or asking for medical records.

Leave a Comment